Overclocked Neo Geo Core
Neo Geo cores with overclock patches are available for download from the MiSTerFPGA forums. Two cores are available on that overclocks the CPU to 18MHz and another to 24Mhz. The original CPU speed is 12MHz. These cores are unofficial and need to be downloaded separately. This is thanks to work done by Cyril1980 on the MiSTerFPGA forums.
- MiSTer FPGA forum post : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=1580
- Latest download : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=59591#p59591
Martin Donlan Interview
Bob from RetroRGB has an interview with core developer Martin Donlon, also known as wickerwaka. He recently developed the M72 core which runs R-Type & R-Type 2. He’s also worked on many other cores. The interview talks about many topics including FPGA development. I highly recommended it to get some insight on what core developers go through.
- YouTube Interview : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCmw2tjeRA
- wickerwaka Twitter: https://twitter.com/wickerwaka
- wickerwaka Github: https://github.com/wickerwaka
SATURN CORE UPDATE
There are new test builds for the Saturn core. These are not official and were compiled from the core’s github page by users. Some more games are working but the core is still a long way off. If you want to test it out, you can download it from the MiSTerFPGA forums. To support this cores development, you can subscribe to the developers Patreon.
- Misterfpga forum post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=2110
- Core downloads : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=61083#p61083
- srg320 Github: https://github.com/srg320?tab=repositories
- srg320 support page: https://www.patreon.com/srg320/
- srg320 Twitter: https://twitter.com/srg320_
pierco has made the Bank Panic core public, so update your MiSTer now to obtain it. He also found a bug that was also present in MAME. Thanks to pierco discovery, the bug has also been patched in MAME.
- Twitter post : https://twitter.com/pcornier/status/1578426963785846786
- MAME Update : https://twitter.com/MameHaze/status/1578295225222455297
- pierco Github: https://github.com/pierCo
- pierco support page: https://www.patreon.com/pierco
- pierco Twitter: https://twitter.com/pcornier
Anton Gale has made a lot of progress on the Exerion core. The work done was concentrating on improving the sprites and they are almost done and there seems to be an addressing/timing issue to resolve. Next up is to work on the 3rd and final layer for the game.
- Twitter post : https://twitter.com/antongale/status/1576318685563990016
Jimmy Stones has now gotten Clean Sweep running on simulation and on the MiSTer FPGA. He also fixed some timing issues that caused the MiSTer core to behave differently from the simulation. He’s only 30% of the way through so there’s still a lot more work to be done.
- Core running : https://twitter.com/mrjimmystones/status/1576537645861068800
- Progress update : https://twitter.com/mrjimmystones/status/1578501312169545728
- Jimmy Stones Github: https://github.com/JimmyStones?tab=repositories
- Jimmy Stones support page: https://ko-fi.com/jimmystones
- Jimmy Stones Twitter: https://twitter.com/mrjimmystones
If you have a MiSTercade and need a remote for it so you can have easier access to commonly used features, MiSTerAddons has listed 10 units of version 2 of the remote on his website.
New features in this version are:
Playstation controller support. Also allows for 2 players.
A GunCon sync port.
And 2 player support for NES and SNES.
- Twitter post : https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1573726388133429248
Jotego has had a Rainbow Islands PCB donated to his team. It will first get in the hands of twitter user skutis77 for schematic extraction and then head over to Jotego for FPGA development.
- Twitter post : https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1574795101318123520
- Jotego support page: https://www.patreon.com/jotego
- Jotego Twitter: https://twitter.com/topapate
- Jotego Github: https://github.com/jotego/jtbin
Playstation Bilinear Filtering
Bilinear filtering for the PlayStation core is finally done and we should be seeing it on the next update, but there are test builds available if you can’t wait. For this feature an option was also added that automatically detects polygons that are used for 2D only, so we wont get blurred out text and HUD elements.
- Twitter post : https://twitter.com/AzumFpg/status/1577585542446948352
- FPGAZumspass support page: https://www.patreon.com/FPGAzumSpass
- FPGAZumspass Twitter: https://twitter.com/AzumFpg
- FPGAZumspass Github: https://github.com/RobertPeip
Mike Simone has added support for Raiders5 to the Ninja Kid core. The update isn’t available yet but the commit has already been merged. On top of adding Raiders5 Mike Simone also fixed a memory leak and plans to add support for another game, Nova 2001.
Mike has also posted an update on the adapter he’s developing for the cores that support S-Video and composite. He has a video that shows the progress of the latest adapter.
- MiSTer FPGA forum post : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5500&sid=894731f5a0c43e39dd0aa6ca1e4573c2
- GitHub update : https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-NinjaKun_MiSTer/pull/9
- S-Video/Composite cores : https://github.com/MikeS11/MiSTerFPGA_YC_Encoder
- S-Video/Composite downloads : https://github.com/MikeS11/MiSTerFPGA_YC_Encoder/tree/main/YC%20Builds
- Video showing how to set up S-Video cores : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBy_XPmieKc
A core for Penguin Wars has been released. This was developed by macro. If you want to support the work that macro does, you can support them on ko-fi.
- MiSTer FPGA forum post : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=61181#p61181
- macro support page: https://ko-fi.com/macrofpga
Other MiSTer FPGA updates
And other miscellaneous MiSTer fixes and updates are:
- Razing core: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=61396#p61396
- C64 core : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=61432#p61432
- Atari ST : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=61448#p61448
- PCXT : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=61455#p61455
- MiSTer Main : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=61447#p61447