Wii Virtual Console Games vs. the Originals
This page compares the Wii Virtual Console games to the original console versions. It also shows you how to play them in their original 240p mode.
I took picture comparisons of the Wii hooked up to an RGB monitor via component (YPbPr) versus the original systems in RGB. Please note that I left the RGB monitor settings the same for both, so the brightness doesn’t match exactly. I’ll eventually re-take these pictures with an OSSC in linetriple mode to get a more exact representation:
Playing in 240p
In order to play VC games in 240p, your Wii needs to be set to 480i mode. Then follow this procedure:
1. Set your Wii to 480i mode (I had mine set to 4:3 as well…I’m not sure if that matters). This will not work in 480p mode.
2. Start a Virtual Console game.
2. Press the Home button to bring up the Home menu, and then click on Operations Guide.
3. Attach a Nunchuk controller to your Wii remote (if the classic controller is plugged in, you’ll have to remove it to do this).
4. Press A+1+Z simultaneously (A and 1 are on your Wii remote, Z on your Nunchuk).
5. You should hear a sound confirming that you’ve done this correctly. This should activate 240p mode for all VC games that are 240p-compatible.
6. To switch to 480i mode for VC, follow the same steps as above, but press A+2+Z instead.
Forcing 240p in VC games that don’t support it (softmodded Wii required):
Not all Wii VC games support 240p mode, but all can be hacked to force the game into 240p. This will only work on original Wii Virtual Console titles, not Wii U VC games:
– First, check this list to see if the game you’d like to play supports 240p: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOGfGwGbIwEkyXMcnSueRjYcRlV2X1v–XvVSY52hoA
– If not, follow Blizz’ guide on modifying the wad file: https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/18504-Wii-TG-16-VC-Titel-in-240p-ohne-Blurfilter/
– Here’s some English form topics as well: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?uid=11629&f=6&t=57691&start=0 / https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1261466#p1261466
Using the Wii Virtual Console is an excellent way to experience classic games without investing a ton of money. If you use it on an RGB monitor or high quality CRT, it’ll look excellent and extremely close to the original game. Using a controller adapter will enhance the experience even more, as you’ll be able to use the original controllers!
Hardcore retro gaming enthusiasts will always be able to tell the tiny differences between the VC and original games, however most people will find this solution to be fine. It’s especially handy for people who want to play just a few games from one console, but don’t want the expense of buying everything that goes with it.
Please click here to go back to the main Wii page, or head to the homepage for more retro awesomeness!